Thursday, March 13, 2008

About 3 weeks ago, I was in REI looking for shoes I might take for the trip to Europe. As I stood there, in front of 30 pairs of shoes -- of every make, model and purpose -- I noticed another fellow doing the same thing. I said something like "well, what to buy, there's so much here". We started talking and before I knew it, we were sharing the purpose of our visit to REI. Gareth, the young mans name, was looking for shoes for a trip as well. He is going to take a "walk about around the world"! He is taking a year off, putting his furniture into storage, giving up his apartment and will be back-packing throughout much of the world. After I described my purpose for being there, we started comparing notes. What to buy, what to take, how much weight to carry, how to travel. It was great meeting a kindred spirit.

On Wednesday, March 13th, I received an "I've Arrived" email from Gareth. He was in New Zealand and on his way. He pointed me to his blog as a way to keep in touch with his progress. I noticed on Gareth's blog that he could notate his location using google maps. I thought I'd try the same thing, and during my trip around Europe, I will post my location from time to time. As a test, here's my "home" location in Castro Valley California. Just click on the link HERE and see it on a google map. Neat huh?


So, keep an eye for these links during the months of May and June 08. You'll join me, virtually anyway.

Au Revoir Mes Amis!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your picture on your blog. It makes you see so present.

I will do my number on you though about Gareth. Who is that? It makes it seem like an insider's blog when you say that, instead of "I noticed on a friend's blog..."

And of course you want to know that mon ami is the male singular for my friend, if the friend is a guy, mon amie if addressing a girl, and mes amis is the plural for my friends, any and all sexes.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Dennis - I am so glad you found a great pair of shoes! When I got back from our trip a couple of years ago, my right toe nail actually fell off from shoes that were too tight! Its grown back now, and I wouldn't change a thing looking back... except for the shoes :) Have a wonderful time! Jim Falls