Wednesday, May 14, 2008




Roger and I drove into Bayeux last night and found a beautiful municipal camp ground. In the evening we had the good fortune to have our neighbors come over to visit with us. Their names were Jess and Victor. Both of these guys were 88 years old and, as the evening progressed, the discussion got around to the subject of World War II. As it turns out, Jess and Victure, not surprising, were war veterans with Jakes having served in Burma and Victor having served in Montecassino in Italy. They had some great stories to tell, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves into the evening.


This morning, we awoke at 7 a.m. to join a WW2 beach and city tour. Overlord Guided Tours is run by a very interesting and informative young man by the name of Aleinn and his helper, Olivier. Early in the tour, we went to Omaha Beach along the beaches in north of France and bordering the English Channel. As the day progressed, drove along the beaches and worked our way south to Utah Beach. We stopped at a number of little villages as well and one of the most interesting was Sainte-Mere Eglise. You're probably familiar with this city from the movie The Longest Day. In the movie, Red Buttons plays a paratrooper who gets caught by a church spire after bailing out of a aircraft. This was Sainte-Mere Igles. His name was John Steele (no relation!!!).


Roger and I arrived in Paris and I am on my way to find a 1/2 day tour bus. I am lucky, in that Roger has decided to spend a couple extra days with me, and we'll be traveling into to south of France together. He'll be going home next Tuesday (today is Tuesday I think ), and I'll make my way to Pisa and then Rome.

More later.....

No comments: